domingo, 21 de junio de 2009

conversation with mom

Today my mother asked me if I had considered yoga or other eastern forms of relaxation techniques to deal with my stress.

Brief paraphrase of the discussion:

Mom: "You seemed so relaxed when you came home a year and a half ago."

Me: "Well, I mean when I came home last time I was on vacation. And I wasn't thinking about readjusting to this country again, I was just enjoying seeing people and hanging out."

Mom: "Hmm. I really liked that version of you. I wonder if you're experiencing stress because you're driving again."

Me: "Yes, driving here is definitely a cause of stress, but I think I'm much more tranquila than I used to be, even with the new sources of stress in my life."

Mom: "Really? Because I just think you should find some new ways to relax here, you know to deal with the pace of the life and everything without having to go to a 3rd world country again."

Me: "Well, running does that for me. It helps balance my emotional and mental activity level with physical activity too."

Mom: "Really? But running is dangerous. I hope you have a good pair of shoes."

Me: "Yes, Mom, I do." (BTW, Asics rule! :-)

Mom: "Okay, well I just think it would be so nice if you could be relaxed again."

Me: "So what exactly have you noticed in my behavior that makes you feel that I'm stressed?"

Mom: [pauses] "I don't know. I just noticed that in the pictures we took when you were home last time you seemed so relaxed. And now you are different."

Me: "So....that's it?"

Mom: "Um, yes."

Me: [internally] This conversation is stressing me out!!!

2 comentarios:

  1. This is quite relatable. I love the last line by the way and it gave me a good laugh!

    Miss ya chica!
    -Marisa

    ResponderEliminar